Monday, October 13

... About Siggy's Extraordinary Mind-Reading Capabilities

There are so many amazing things and places in the world, and I want to see as many of them as I can. So it's no surprise that I have a bit of a weakness for home décor with a 'travel' theme. My favorite acquisition thus far is a set of antique world map prints, and I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on an old-fashioned globe in a stand. In our apartment I've put out things that represent some of the different places I've been. Out in the living room are big framed prints of rainy days in New York, London, and Paris, as well as knickknacks I bought there - an Eiffel Tower statuette, a jewelry box from Westminster Abbey, a blue vase from Bath, etc.

My bathroom is Mexico-themed. I have an Edward Martinez print on one wall, and on the shelf sits a Mexican doll that Taylor bought me in Cancun for my birthday, a terracotta Mayan calendar, and a bunch of shells. My favorite of these shells is a nearly-perfect sand dollar; it's missing just a small bit of one side, which actually helps it to sit up better.

Do you know how I got that sand dollar? A giant starfish, about three feet across, extruded its stomach, wrapped it around a flat urchin on the bottom of the sea, liquefied its soft parts, sucked them off, and left behind the skeleton. Then the skeleton washed up on a beach in Mexico where I found it, packed it in my luggage, and now proudly display it over my toilet.

It EXTRUDED ITS STOMACH and LIQUEFIED the SOFT PARTS! How freaking amazing is that?!

And that's just one of the myriad of amazing things Bailey and I learned from watching 'Planet Earth' last night! Did you know that a baby humpback whale drinks 130 GALLONS of milk EVERY DAY?! Or that Deer Cave in Borneo is home to a 300 FOOT HIGH MOUND OF BAT GUANO?!?! Did you realize that baby musk oxen are actually REALLY REALLY CUTE?!?!

Siggy did. In fact, just as I was opening my mouth to express how surprisingly adorable I thought the musk ox really was, Siggy chimed in with her narration of the show, saying, "The calves are cute." Bailey and I laughed, but we were quite impressed. And it just kept getting more and more impressive! A few minutes later, as we watched some polar bears sliding down a snow-covered hill, I said, "That looks like fun."

"It looks like fun," echoed Siggy.

"I just said that, Siggy!" I said. But she ignored me and just continued explaining about how the bears would survive in the harsh conditions of the Arctic. A while later, Bailey wondered aloud why there is such a variety of species in the reefs of Indonesia. Without missing a beat, Siggy chimed in with an explanation: "There are so many different types of animals in these reefs because they are right at the convergence of the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean."

Bailey and I just stared at the screen, slack-jawed. How did Siggy KNOW?! How could she possibly time her narration to match up with exactly what we're thinking exactly as we're thinking it?! Of all the wonderful and surprising things about our world that we learned last night, perhaps the most mind-boggling of all is that Sigourney Weaver is a genuine psychic!

Remember on 'Ghost Busters' when she was possessed by Zuul the Gatekeeper? I think that might have something to do with it.

I must admit, Reader, I've always been skeptical about the validity of psychics. But I have about 7 hours of 'Planet Earth' on my DVR that make me think it could be possible. I mean, if there can be a cave entrance deep enough to engulf the Empire State Building, and dolphins can hydroplane up to the beach to catch fish, and half-inch seahorses can have territorial disputes involving head-butting, and people will voluntarily eat a chunk of hardened bird saliva and call it a delicacy, isn't it reasonable to believe that Siggy could be a psychic?

One thing's for sure - telepathic or not, Siggy has existentially multiplied my desire to go around the world and see all the amazing things it has to offer! I want to be able to decorate my living room with a piece of gypsum from Lechuguilla Cave, a photo I'll take of a flying great white shark off the coast of South Africa, a vial of melted ice from Antarctica.

I wonder how hard it would be to transport that 300 foot mound of bat guano to my apartment?

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Who is this acclaimed psychic, Siggy?