Wednesday, January 14

... About Being a Resolutionary

Hello there, Reader! First of all, allow me to apologize for not posting for such a long time. I made a New Year's Resolution to update my blog more often. Clearly, I've deserve this:



But I also made a New Year's Resolution to only FAIL miserably at 3 or fewer of my New Year's Resolutions this year, so I'm only at one for three thus far! Hooray!



I made a lot of resolutions this year. But I did it a little differently than in years past. A long time ago, I read somewhere that people are more likely to accomplish their goals if they write them down. It's something about holding yourself psychologically accountable because having your goal in ink on paper makes it a tangible piece of the fabric of the Universe or something. Well, psychological shmpsychological, I say (or at least I tried to say, but "shmpsychological" is really really really hard to pronounce).

I used to write down my resolutions, but not anymore. I figure if I'm holding myself psychologically accountable for my goals, then I also have to hold myself accountable for not reaching those goals. And I'm sure you can imagine, Reader, what a strenuous task that would be.

So this year, instead of setting myself up for FAILure by writing down very specific ideas for self-improvement, I decided to just have a few flexible resolutions that I could adapt as I see fit throughout the year. For example, I made a resolution to set aside an hour or so every day to work on some of my neglected writing projects. So far, two weeks into the year, I've done that exactly once.

But rather than condemn myself to FAILure status, Reader, I choose to see the WIN side of things. After realizing the impossibility of the task at hand, I've altered the goal slightly so that now, instead of spending an hour a day writing, I've gone to see more movies. Yea, me! See how well this is going to work?

So I'm pretty confident that with my new New Year's Resolution system set firmly in place, 2009 is going to be a banner year. And I'll be sure to tell you all about it, because I'm going to be a lot better about updating this blog!

Well, that, or I'm going to always remember to replace the Handi-Wipe in my wallet. But either way, Reader, you

No comments: